Spring is the best time to plan vacations. The weather is perfect, flowers are in bloom and there are dozens of incredible deals and special events, especially around Alabama. We saved you the extra research and put together eight of the best destinations you have to check out to this spring and, even better, they’re all in reasonable driving distance from Birmingham. Psst! Read to the end to find out how you can win $791 in our travel giveaway!
1. A beach trip to The Island Resort at Fort Walton
Missing the beach? I know I am. There’s no better place to book a gulfside getaway than at The Island Resort at Fort Walton. Complete with on-site restaurants, nightly entertainment, a beachside bar and a full calendar of events for the whole family—this will be so much more than your average beach vacation.
Now is the time to book early and save big with their Spring Special!
2. Head to Lookout Mountain for swimming, hiking + more
Whether you’re swimming under Desoto Falls, hiking through the state park, exploring caves or eating a delicious dinner at Wildflower Cafe, Lookout Mountain is the best spot for an outdoorsy spring vacation. Beyond all the fun you’ll have floating down the river, rock climbing ziplining and more, the area also has some unique events you won’t want to miss out on. Here’s a few:
- Distance from Birmingham: 1 1/2 hrs
3. Visit Dauphin Island Sea Lab
Embrace your inner marine biologist at Dauphin Sea Lab when you travel to Dauphin Island this spring. At the Sea Lab, you’ll experience a hands-on, interactive learning environment where you look through microscopes, take snorkel adventures and see live sea life up close and personal. Plan your weekend around one of these exciting upcoming events to learn more about the sea and the cool animals living in it.
4. Discover all the fun things happening in Tupelo, MS
If you’ve never been to Tupelo, Mississippi, now is the time to plan a visit. Only a two-hour drive from Birmingham, they have a killer lineup of spring events you’ll want to check out. Here’s a sneak peek:
- North Mississippi Symphony Orchestra I March 26—Calling all music lovers! Pianist Miki Sawada makes her Tupelo debut as part of a collaboration with the Japan-America Society of Mississippi and the North Mississippi Cherry Blossom Festival
- Blue Suede Cruise I April 29-May 1—900 classic cars will roar into town during this weekend full of automobiles, live music and more.
- Gumtree Art & Wine Festival I May 6-8—Get artsy at this annual festival showcasing local artist’s works around the courthouse square. There will also be live music, wine tastings with food pairings, a community mural project, a Mother’s Day Jazz Brunch + more. The weekend also includes the annual Gumtree Run, one of Mississippi’s largest 10K.
To find out more about these events and all the fun things to do in Tupelo during your trip, check out their website.
- Distance from Birmingham: 2 hrs
5. Spend a weekend in the cozy town of Fairhope
Spend a weekend getaway in the cozy town of Fairhope and you can experience spa days, boutique shopping, incredible eats, golfing and gorgeous boardwalk sunsets. This town is nestled against Mobile Bay with beautiful views and is only a four-hour drive from Birmingham.
Check out our piece on how to have a romantic getaway in Fairhope for a full itinerary and more fun things to do.
- Distance from Birmingham: 4 hrs
6. Head to Gulf Shores for the annual Ballyhoo Festival
If you love art, you can’t miss the annual Ballyhoo Festival in Gulf Shores. This weekend event will feature over 80 artists as well as cultural exchange. There will be live entertainment by local performers, onsite art demonstrations, exotic animals (courtesy of the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo), children’s hands-on art activities, local seafood and more!
7. Don’t miss out on the Panoply Arts Festival in Huntsville
Are you ready for the Southeast‘s premiere arts weekend? Panoply is happening in Huntsville this spring and their 40th celebration is set to be bigger than ever before. See the work of over 100 visual artists from various mediums and browse the fan-favorite Art Marketplace.
Along with all of the amazing art, the weekend will be full of music by local and regional bands, a variety of culinary creations via food trucks, kid-friendly interactive activities and community art projects.
8. GEICO 500 NASCAR Cup Series—Talladega Superspeedway
It’s time to start your engines as racing fans from all over head to the Talladega Superspeedway to witness the GEICO 500 NASCAR Cup Series. Leading up to the big race, fans will have the chance to see pre-race ceremonies, live music, play at the game zone and dozens of other fun activities.
Start planning your trip to the speedway and catch all the action in Talladega this spring.
To enter our Spring Giveaway, follow our page, like our giveaway post + tag a friend. Deadline is March 7!
Map of Destinations
Visit our Instagram @bhamnow to enter our spring travel giveaway and win gift cards to several spots mentioned! To enter, follow our page, like our giveaway post + tag a friend. Deadline is March 7, so get to tagging for your chance to win this ultimate prize.